We have all been told umpteenth times the necessity for preventive health checkups. Preventive health check-ups are one of the most important measures we can take when it comes to maintaining a good health and well-being for longer years. For the senior citizens, from the time they reach 60 years of age, an annual or a half-yearly health checkup becomes the most important thing for them. As a person grows older, their body starts showing a lot of health problems and it takes a lot of time for them to recover from any said illness. Whereas, for some of them, taking regular medications for thyroid or high blood pressure along with a restricted lifestyle is no less than an episode.
Importance of Health Check-ups in Senior Citizens
Let us now take a look at why the importance of a regular health check-up doubles once you have reached your seniority.
Our body starts wearing down once we reach of age. Our bones start getting weaker, our respiratory and digestive system needs special attention and care, not that we don’t need to care for them in the earlier years, but it’s better if we follow certain health restrictions. Although we might take certain precautionary measures like low-intensity workouts, yoga, eating healthy, easily-digestible food, taking regular medications, but the thumb-rule to stay a healthy and longer life is to go for annual health checkups, along with monitoring BP, height, and weight.
What is the Purpose of Preventive Health Check-ups in Senior Citizens?
For an overall physical and emotional well-being, a regular health check-up is very important for senior citizens.
- Physical Well-being — It is good to know the status of your health on a regular basis and identify if you are at a risk of any chronic illness. There are many such diseases that have no signs or symptoms and may pose serious health risks later if not detected and treated at the right time. Moreover, a disease-free life is a great way to grow old healthy.
- Emotional Well-being — If you have been recovering from any chronic physical trauma, then a regular health check-up just to ensure that there is no further relapsing gives s a lot of emotional peace.
- Also, preventive health check-ups help save a lot of hospital bills and frequent hospital visits.
List of Specific Health Check-ups for Senior Citizens
- BP screening — It is important to keep blood pressure at check. A high blood pressure often leads to many serious conditions like coronary attacks or stroke which are often fatal. So it is important to check blood pressure on a regular basis and take precautionary measures.
- Diabetes — Another disease that is a common companion of old age, Diabetes leads to a very restricted lifestyle. It literally cuts down on every food that you must have relished at a younger age. Keep blood sugar on track as a higher blood sugar count often leads to kidney diseases.
- Complete Blood Count — RBC, WBC, Platelets, are they within the normal range? Keep a count to prevent any serious illness.
- Chest x-ray — The lungs are one of the most vulnerable spot in adult seniors for various pulmonary diseases and infections. Getting a chest x-ray done annually will rule out all possibilities of respiratory diseases.
- Fecal Occult Blood Test — This test is indeed essential to detect future chances of colorectal cancer.
There are also some tests that are mandatory for men and women.
For Men –
- Prostrate Exam or Prostrate specific antigen test (PSA)
- Testicular Cancer Screening
- Lung Cancer Screening
For Women –
- Pap smear test
- Pelvic Exam
- Bone Mass Test/Osteoporosis Test
It is very important to get a screening done to ensure the status of your health. Book appointment at your nearest diagnostic lab for yourself and also your parents as being in good health is of foremost importance for a better life.
Also, get connected with your nearest doctor to know the health measures to be adapted for a healthy lifestyle.